"Floriculture Association Nepal Expects Record Demand for Roses on Valentine's Day"

Kathmandu-  In anticipation of Valentine's Day, the Floriculture Association Nepal (FAN) has forecasted an unprecedented demand for roses this year, with estimates reaching a staggering 350,000 rose stems. This surge in demand highlights the growing popularity of the romantic occasion in Nepal.

According to FAN President, Min Bahadur Tamang, domestic production can only meet 10 percent of the total demand, while the remaining 90 percent of roses will need to be imported from neighboring India. This reliance on imports is due to the inability of local production to satisfy the soaring demand.

Tamang further revealed that the price range for red roses this year is expected to be between Rs 80 to Rs 100 per stem. As Valentine's week commenced on Wednesday, the excitement among Nepalese consumers has been palpable. While Valentine's Day is traditionally a Western celebration, it has gained significant traction in recent years in Nepal.

The demand for roses is concentrated primarily in the Kathmandu Valley, where 60 percent of the total demand is consumed. The remaining 40 percent is distributed among other cities across the country. On Valentine's Day alone, the turnover generated by red roses is estimated to be around Rs 35 million, contributing to an annual turnover of approximately Rs 3.7 billion for the flower industry.

Commercial cultivation of red roses is predominantly carried out in three districts of the Kathmandu Valley, namely Kathmandu, Lalitpur, and Kavrepalanchowk. To meet the increasing demand, the flower industry has witnessed significant expansion, with 675 flower farms and nurseries spread across 41 districts, including Kaski, Chitwan, Makwanpur, Gulmi, Palpa, Dhading, and Morang.

Nepal currently cultivates 450 species of roses for commercial purposes, benefiting more than 41,000 individuals directly or indirectly involved in the floriculture business.